WE STAND UP FOR THE SOCIOCULTURAL SOVEREIGNTY OF LOCAL COMMUNITIES
Restoring endangered knowledge, heritage and cultural essences through art.
La Maya Lab was born to give creative solutions to:
1. The loss and endangering of the wisdom of the popular rural society. And therefore:
2. The absence of any dialogue between local communities and tourists / travelers who visit them.
3. The absence of any dialogue between local communities and the artists / artisans who represent them.
4. The loss of sovereignty of the common heritage -esthetic, social and environmental- by the people that
inhabit a specific area.
5. The imbalance between the sociocultural essence of places and the current phenomena that affect them.
For this, it offers an advisory service and moves cultural action:
1. We record and reinterpret in different artistic medias those cultural fragments envisioned in the rural
holistic wisdom to save it from oblivion, honor the popular memory of our ancestors,
absorbing what is useful in the present and updating it to contemporary times and protecting the
immaterial heritage of our idiosyncrasies. For it:
2. We analyze and investigate the sociocultural context.
3. Artists / artisans become neighbors of the communities and get to identify elements of collective meaning and
4. The communities state the sociocultural expressions they feel identified with/ represented by.
5. Both artists and communities work together in the regeneration and preservation of the heritage, gaining back its sovereignty.
MAKING VISIBLE, from our pirate souls and our wandering freedom,
the KNOWLEDGE, HERITAGE AND ESSENCES that need to be refloated
in the Iberian Peninsula and the Mediterranean Sea.
DRIVING, from our wild creativity,
art projects in which artists, artisans and local communities share processes in a collaborative way.
WE INSPIRE, from our indigenous trait,
freer , imaginative, sustainable, original and fully ecological policies.
ADDRESSING, from our analytical integrity,
the places and the aesthetically, socially and environmentally affected treasures to lead towards sociocultural sovereignty.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE PROJECTS:
Get to know more in detail each of the projects developed by La Maya lab.
Sociocultural revaluation plan of the essence of Saint James Way as an initiation trip. In collaboration with the Ave Fénix Pilgrim's Hostel of Villafranca del Bierzo.
Can a community keep its own city afloat?
Recovering the memory of a Romanesque treasure exiled to the USA.